Sunday, October 18, 2009

Growing & Going

Birch is growing up so fast.  She’s learning new words all the time.  Today she pointed to the goose in her animal book and asked me what it was, meaning she pointed to it and said mmmh?  in a questioning tone.  I hadn’t pointed it out before, because I couldn’t think what kind of noise to make for a goose (honk, honk?).  I told her it was a goose and she immediately said goose!  I am such a proud mama.  She also loves to say words that end with a “k” sound.  Duck, rock, sock, truck—one of her favorite words.  She recently picked up “look” as a new word.  “Back” is another concept she likes—the idea of her Papa coming back.  He worked in Midland/Odessa last week and she was missing him.  

We got her some Squeakers—shoes that have a little squeaking mechanism in the heal.  She really goes to town with those things.   The squeaking just fascinates and entertains her to no end.  She was trying to squeak around the house this evening even though she was running around barefoot!  Shoes is another one of her favorite words.

DSC_00690001

She is so independent.  She kept getting mad at us today when we were trying to steer the stroller as she pushed it.  Every time she realized somebody had a hand on the handles she’d fuss at us angrily, like “Stop trying to push my stroller people.  I can do it myself.”  We were at the arboretum along with half of Dallas so she couldn’t just push the stroller all over the place.  Eventually we had to pull her off stroller  duty when we were on the main paths.

DSC_00600001

DSC_00540001

I was hoping that this post would be all about how I have successfully turned Birch into a good sleeper, but I haven’t managed that yet—work in progress…  For those of you who are expecting your first child, take heed.  Teach your baby to fall asleep by themselves before they reach 14 months.  I think 6 months is when you’re supposed to start that kind of thing.  I’ll let you know when we’ve got it down. 

Another question for all you parents.  What do/did you feed your children?  I think I have little bit of a complex about all the bad things that might potentially be in food.  Then I end up not having enough variety.  In the interest of keeping Birch from being bored with her food, any suggestions?  We are getting raw milk and free range eggs, which is nice, but I can’t feed her that all day!

Birchie 13 months

Here’s a 13 month picture of Birch.  She is such an open and friendly baby.  So curious and investigative and eager to learn.  I love her smile and I love learning new things about her every day and I love how she revels in the world around her.

5 comments:

Shauna Lynn said...

She is just the cutest... love the pumpkin pictures! Lily loved/loves olives of all kind... she would/will also eat almost any raw vegetable (especially cucumber) dipped in homemade ranch.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

Thank you so much for the update. Birch is growing so much. I love the intensity on her face. She is soaking everything up. Her smile just melts me. I sure miss all of ya’ll. Love,Becky

The James Family said...

Birch is so cute. It was so fun to see you guys the other day. Birch was so good at the restaurant. I can't think of any super healthy foods that you probably don't already give Birch. I second Shauna on the olives and raw veggies dipped in ranch. That is the only way Luke eats veggies (except for corn.)

Tom said...

Great Update. Birch is beautiful. They do grow up so fast. I can't wait to see you guys and watch the cousins play. Love, Aunt Julie